Monday 23 November 2015

Texturing with Normals

Texturing With Normals


We were told to choose two or three images from the internet that we thought looked flat and that could be combined with a normal map to give the illusion that it ad depth to it. I chose two images that i though would work really well. The first one was a metal texture that looked like it had a couple of ledges on, I felt like these edges cold look more pronounced with the use of a normal map. 

The second image was a simple wooden paneling that I though with a normal map the groves in the wood and inbetween the panels could be shown a lot more. 


I used a program called Crazy Bump to generate the Normal Maps for both images, this is an easy and effective way to generate normal and Ambient Occlusion maps.



Once Crazy Bump had created all of these maps I then created planes for them, applied the textures and the bump maps and rendered them. The textures looked exactly how I wanted them to look with the metal texture being raised and the groves of the wood texture being enhanced. 

1 comment:

  1. Your writing style is engaging and informative. Looking forward to more posts
    world map 3d

    ReplyDelete